Exploring a software's capabilities, mapping your requirements to its features and getting your team members to participate in the evaluation takes around 2-3 weeks, especially since you will not be doing this full-time and you may also be evaluating other tools in parallel.
|Trial Duration||30 Days||30 Days|
|Sample data for quick evaluation|
Managing Test Cases
A good test case management tool facilitates in writing effective and expressive test cases. It also enables you to organise your test cases effectively, make modifications to multiple test cases quickly, and helps you recover from mistakes.
|Multiple steps per test case|
|Separate 'steps' and 'expected results' per test case|
|WYSIWYG rich-text editor in steps|
|Insert images from files in steps|
|Copy images from clipboard into steps|
|Custom fields per test case|
|Bulk edit test cases|
|Bulk edit custom fields in test cases|
|Copy a suite from another project|
|Copy a section from another project|
|Recycle bin for projects, suites & sections|
|Import from spreadsheets|
|Export to spreadsheets|
Managing Test Runs
In most cases, you will not be testing the entire system. A practical test management software will help you quickly create test runs from a subset of the test cases. It will also help you distribute the testing workload equitably amongst the test team. During testing, the workflow for the tester should be efficient - they should see their instructions, record their result and move to the next test case efficiently.
|Create sophisticated test runs based on filters|
|Bulk assign test cases to users|
|Test workload optimization|
|Add results on multiple test cases at once|
|Capture custom fields while adding results|
|Burndown chart for visualizing progress|
|Compare planned vs actual effort|
|Custom result statuses|
Many test management tools offer native integrations with other apps. However, they are restrictive — you like 60% but want to customize the remaining 40%, but you can't — which makes the entire integration useless. You are forced to write your own. Further, in the future, you may want to switch tools or add new ones, e.g., a time tracking app, and if your QA testing tool doesn't integrate with it, then you are in trouble. A better way is to integrate your software with integration automation tools like Zapier or Integromat. These tools allow you to build your own integrations precisely the way you want without writing a single line of code. It also makes you future-proof by ensuring that you can integrate with thousands of other popular applications.
|Ability to create your own security roles|
|Ability to control privileges at a project level|
|Automatic protection against the 10K most common passwords|
|Automatic protection against brute-force hacking for passwords|
TestRail is a comprehensive test case management software. From interactions with TestRail users, we hear three main complaints: poor usability, high price, and an outdated interface. Poor usability leads to users not wanting to use the software and creates friction between the team and management. It also means high training costs, and it can also slow down testing as testers struggle with the software. Pricing is another crucial factor. TestRail starts at $36/user per month, and it quickly adds up as you begin increasing users. If you want features like audit trail, SSO, and project level administration, you have to go with the TestRail enterprise edition that costs $69 per user per month. However, you also get advanced functionalities like test case approval and versioning in this edition, which are unavailable in Tuskr.
Tuskr™ is designed to be intuitive without compromising on functionality — it takes about ten minutes to train someone who has never used any test management software before. We don't do different things but do the same things better in terms of features. For example, our WYSIWYG editor makes writing expressive test cases effortless, while our recyle-bin makes it possible for you to recover from accidental deletion of a project or suite. Our interface is also much more intuitive and pleasing. In terms of pricing, there is no comparison — we are $5/user per month. For Indian customers, the price is even lower at ₹250/user per month. If you sign up for the yearly plan, the prices will reduce even further.
A natural question is - "so what am I missing in Tuskr"? In this article, we compared the two tools a level deeper to help you get a good idea about their similarities and differences. However, the best way to experience these two test management tools is to try them out. Tuskr offers a free 30-day trial, while TestRail provides a 14-day trial.